Menstrual cycle is the monthly series of changes in woman’s body. It goes through in preparation for the possibility of pregnancy. Every month, one of the ovaries releases an egg this process is called as ovulation. Hormonal changes prepare an uterus for pregnancy. If your egg is not fertilized, then the lining of the uterus closes through vagina is known as menstrual period.
Here there is a list of great ways to care yourself during your periods:
- Give Yourself Some Time to Relax: In the first day of your period allow your body to rest. Give yourself some time and space to rest during your first day of your period.
- Try to listen music that will distract and calm down you.
- Rest more than usual. Don’t do heavy exercises which may hurt you.
- Do activities which you know that are comforting you.
- Keep a Pad with You at all Times: Panty liners are convenient to keep with you. They are easy to carry, smaller and should hold the flow of blood until you can obtain a pad. It is suggested that on the first day of your period you should use a pad because it is easy to carry.
- Carry a small purse with your pad or cup.
- If all your ideas fails, then hide a pad or tampon in your bra. It will be covered when there is an emergency.
- Eat Well: We lose a bit of blood at the time of period. It’s very important to eat foods which are rich in iron like spinach, seaweed and red meats. These stuffs will prepare your body for the blood which your are losing during menses. Be sure to eat fruits and vegetables during your periods.
We may tend to reaching for chocolates, sweets and sugary things during periods. It is a sign that our body is in need of nutrients and deficient of. So eat many green vegetables, as these green veggies are very rich in magnesium and it will satisfy your cravings.
- Take a Hot Bath: During your periods, focus on feeling better and pamper yourself with a relaxing bath. Take warm bath during the week of your periods filled with salts and essential oils. Warm bath evokes the feelings of relaxation and can ease those darned cramps, pains and aches.
- Drink Water: During your menstrual cycle, you are likely bloated and retaining water. In order to combat with bloat, drink more water. If you want to look and feel better during your periods, drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from your body and keeps hydrated.
- Try Alternative Methods: Massage clary sage oil on your stomach. Sage oil supports estrogen production in the body and acts on the pituitary gland to prevent cramps. Take cell salts every 5-10 minutes until the pain stops. Or else take a heating pad and place it over stomach where pain is or take a warm bubble bath.
Wear Comfortable Clothes: Don’t prefer to wear tight or close fitting or uncomfortable clothes during your periods. Wear sweatpants and shirt or else wear clothes which are comfortable. Use quality panties that will support your lower abdomen to relax.