Cholesterol is one of the important components of the human body, which is found in the blood. It is actually produced by the body itself and sometimes it is ingested from animal foods. It doesn’t mix with the blood as it is an oil based substance. It is mainly carried by lipoproteins in the blood. A lot of functions are associated with cholesterol such as –
- It helps in producing certain important hormones.
- It helps the body to generate vitamin D.
- It helps in digesting the foods by forming digestive biles in the intestines.
- It contributes to the structure of the cell walls in an efficient manner.
Cholesterol is very important for the human body is maintained at a proper level. But if the concentration of cholesterol is high in the blood, it will raise various critical conditions like heart attacks and strokes. A lot of causes are associated with a high concentration of cholesterol. Some of the common causes of high cholesterol are: –
- A high level of Low-density lipoprotein is the main reason for high cholesterol levels in the blood. The low-density lipoproteins from cholesterol in the arteries lead to various complications. It is highly recommended to maintain a balanced level of Low-density lipoprotein in the body.
- Intake of various types of fats highly enhances the level of cholesterol in the blood. Consumption of saturated fats from processed foods, deep-fried foods, baked goods, and chocolate, dairy products, meat items, and other animal foods increases the chances of high cholesterol. Again trans fats also help in increasing the cholesterol level in the blood. Thus, a poor diet highly enhances the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Obesity is one of the main reasons for the increase of low-density lipoproteins in the body. When the body mass index is around or more than 30, the risks associated with high cholesterol are enhanced. It is highly recommended to perform exercise regularly to avoid obesity.
- Again the increase in the size of the waist also enhances the chances of high cholesterol. For men, if the waist size is more than 40 inches, then they are prone to high cholesterol levels. And when the waist size of women is more than 35 inches, then the risks associated with high cholesterol are more.
- Cigarette smoking also increases the level of cholesterol in the blood. Smoking a cigarette actually damages the structure of the blood vessels and enables the accumulation of fatty acids in the vessels. Thus, the level of high-density lipoprotein is lowered and the level of cholesterol is high in the blood.
- Diabetes is one of the main causes of high cholesterol. The high blood sugar level damages the internal lining of the arteries and reduces the flow of blood. Diabetes also lowers the level of high-density lipoproteins and increases the level of low-density lipoproteins.
These are some of the common causes of high cholesterol. There are no such particular symptoms of high cholesterol. The patients just face various complications like chest pain, heart attack, and stroke. It is highly recommended to grab clinical treatments as quickly as possible.